2/5/10

Gulab Jamun


Fried dumplings of milk soaked in cardamom scented sugar syrup, this is generally how restaurant menus explain it.

Gulab Jamun is a favourite with me and my siblings. Growing up, the only sweet we would look forward to eat is Kala Jamun. Making Gulab jamun needs a perfect proportion of Khoya, Sooji or Paneer or what ever may be your recipe, the key is the proportion. This is what my mom says. For me making Gulab Jamuns, is as easy as opening a packet of my favourite brand and mixing it up. But recently I learned to kick it up a notch. Now this is how I jazz up the mix, well actually I learnt this trick from my sis who herself is a very good cook .




When you get a packet of instant gulab jamun mix (available at indian grocery stores), it comes with the instructions, in which they ask you to knead the mix using water or milk. So here is the trick, instead of that try using some condensed milk or evaporated milk (see tip below), sprinkle some elaichi powder, few blanched and finely sliced pistachios to the mix and then just knead it , fry it n soak it in sugar syrup just as the package says. I also add some rose water to my sugar syrup. You will see how richer and creamier and homier they taste just by tweaking the mix a tiny bit. Garnish with silvered almonds or pistachios and enjoy.


How much condensed milk to add: Just keep adding 1 tbsp. of condensed milk or evaporated milk at a time until you get the desired consistency, or until the mix starts to form into a ball.

Kala Jamuns can also be made using the gulab jamun mix...but lets save that story for another day :)

Thanks for sharing this trick Didi ! This is my entry to the Semi Home Made Indian Recipes event hosted by myself.


I am also sending this to the Hearts for St. Valentines Day event hosted by Priya .

31 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy jamun....

PJ said...

wow, Gulab jamun looks so very delicious!! very very tempting click.. I wish this sweet jamun was in my mouth right now :)

Fathima said...

love jamuns... looks yummy!

Priya Suresh said...

Soft and delicious jamuns looks juicy Rahin, love that heart shaped nuts u r arranged over the jamuns..so cute..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Garma garam gulab jamun is my fav sweet dish. I really liked the way you have decorated heart shaped almonds on top of it. Beautiful click.
Deepa
http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/

Rachana said...

I love hot gulab jamuns...very very tempting and a lovely click:)

Nithu Bala said...

This is too tempting Dear.. love your picture too..

Swathi said...

Rahin,

Gulab jamun looks perfect, i love them

Nadji said...

J'adore les Gulab Jamun.
Les tiens sont très réussis.
A bientôt.

Unknown said...

wow nice tip....but i have a question..u said about using condense milk or evaporated milk...but here in US i found sweet condense milk...which is very sweet.after adding that u cant make jamun balls???

Gita Jaishankar said...

Gulab jaumun looks so perfect and soft...great idea of adding condensed milk :)

Fathima said...

Have some awards waiting for you at my blog... Please accept those..

Reshmi said...

nice jamun lazzat..my all time favourite sweet dish....

Cham said...

Good one, I love ur jamun without the syrup!

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Delicious and great photo, love the way you decorated it...

ruchikacooks said...

Jamuns look so nice. Nice tip too adding the milk thanks for sharing.

Nithu Bala said...

Dear Rahin, you have awards waiting at my blog..please do drop in and collect them..

Chef Jeena said...

Sounds fabulous Rahin and I love the golden colour in the pictures. Adding rose water would be so very aromatic, I am a big fan of rose water sweets YUM!

Namitha said...

That's a cool trick thanks for sharing :-)

Srikitchen said...

wow! yummy jamun! my son is an adict for it!

Deepa G Joshi said...

mmm..gulab jamuns look so yummm..love the heart shape..too good click.

shahana said...

cute bowl n nice presentation!!

Rahin said...

Thank you Shama, PJ, Fathima,Priya,Deepa, Rachana, Nithu, Swathi, Saveurs, Gita, Reshmi, Cham, Treat and Trick , Ruchika , Jeena, Gulmohar,Srilekha, Deepa, Shahana. I certainly appreciate your feedback

Thanks Fathima and Nithu for passing on the awards to me ,

Shabina, I do use the Nestle condensed milk, as far as I remember, condensed milk is sweet , even milkmaid u remember, is sweet,works good for me , you lemme know. If you are still unsure u can try using evaporated milk or heavy cream to make the Jamuns.

Hayley said...

Gulab jamun looks very tempting and delicious....

Anjum said...

Yummy.Looks so doft and delicious.Its by hubby's fav sweet.Do drop by at http://anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com/

FH said...

YUM! So clever of you to arrange that Heart with Almond slivers, very cute. Happy V day! :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks perfectly smooth and yummy.

Cynthia said...

There is so much to love about gulab jamun, so much!

Cicily Antony said...

Gulab jamun...yum yum...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

This is yummy and soft. Do visit my blog when time permits.http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I found you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this gulab jamun widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about gulab jamun,Thanks!